Updated: Aug 15, 2020
Banh mi made healthier in a hearty vegan bowl.
2 14oz blocks extra-firm tofu
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons vegan fish sauce
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sriracha
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
2-3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
Pickled vegetables ingredients:
3 large carrots
1 green pepper
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1. Place the tofu blocks on a sheet tray and cover with paper towels. Place another tray on top of the tofu and weigh down with a large, heavy pot until most of the moisture has been pushed out, about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix all the other marinade ingredients together to create the sauce. Add the pressed tofu and marinade 2-3 hours.
3. To make the pickled vegetables, cut the vegetables into thin strips and add to a large Mason jar. Add the remaining ingredients, shake to combine and let pickle 2-3 hours.
4. When the tofu has finished marinading, pan fry on high heat with a little vegetable oil until browned on both sides.
5. Serve the tofu and pickled vegetables with steamed basmati rice, vegan sriracha mayo, shredded cabbage and fresh cilantro.
Makes 3-4 servings.